The Off-Road Adventures WA Sustainability Policy and Action Plan (2021-2023) is an integrated three-year strategy to establish Off-Road Adventures WA as a recognised leader in the provision of ‘green tours’ to meet the challenges of a transition to an environmentally more sustainable economy.
The terms ‘green tours’ is the current labels for those professional and generic skills required for new ‘green’ tours as well as the ‘greening’ of existing tours.
Off-Road Adventures WA, in collaboration with industry and the Great Southern community, has the responsibility to ensure that its guests and customers and tour leaders have the knowledge and skills to facilitate the adoption and diffusion of the new tools, technologies and processes required in a sustainable economy and society.
This can be achieved through skilling all people on Off-Road Adventures WA tours in activities linked to:
- sustainable products
- energy generation
- consumption and waste management
This Policy and Action Plan establishes a set of policy principles and actions that, over a three-year period, will bring this goal closer to fruition. The Policy and Action Plan will be reviewed at the end of the three-year period. The Policy and Plan will be implemented during all tours.
The key Off-Road Adventures WA Sustainability Policy Principles are to:
- promote to all Off-Road Adventures WA clients and stakeholders the values,knowledge, skills, and technologies required for a sustainable economy and the conservation of the natural environment
- demonstrate best practice methods and efficient resource management
- better integrate and coordinate sustainability initiatives that include the development and consolidation of partnerships, products and services
- recognise the diversity of sustainable practices across the regions we travel in.
Key Action Areas
The key action areas for this Policy and Action Plan are:
- Developing a workforce skilled for sustainability
- Providing products and services that support skills for sustainability
- Demonstrating Off-Road Adventures WA leadership in the adoption of sustainability values, principles and practices
- Reducing Off-Road Adventures WA carbon footprint
Key Action Area 1: Developing a workforce skilled for sustainability
- Action 1.1
- Contribute to workforce development through up-skilling and re-skilling in skills for sustainability across all industries
- Action 1.2
- Participate where possible in research directed at identifying emerging demand for sustainability-related skills.
- Action 1.3
- Provide opportunities for customers to engage in sustainability development in the areas of sustainability awareness and technical expertise.
Key Action Area 2: Providing products and services that support skills for sustainability
- Action 2.1
- Fully incorporate sustainability and good recycling practices into all tours.
- Action 2.2
- Implement physical resources and processes designed for internal carbon footprint reduction.
- Action 2.3
- Participate in Regional, State, national and international networks of skills for sustainability advocates and practitioners.
- Action 2.4
- Keep current in Off-Road Adventures WA Nature Certification in ECO Tourism as a leader of skills for sustainability
Key Action Area 3: Demonstrate Off-Road Adventures WA leadership in the adoption of sustainability values, principles and practices
- Action 3.1
- Participate in activities that showcase the achievements of Off-Road Adventures WA in developing skills for ECO sustainable Tourism.
- Action 3.2
- Increase accreditation in other Eco Tourism certifications>/dd>
Key Action Area 4: Reducing Off-Road Adventures WA carbon footprint
- Action 4.1
- Adopt measures to improve the management, use, conservation, reuse/recycling of natural physical resources (including energy, water and land).
- Action 4.2
- Lead the adoption of energy and environmental design measures to cover both new construction and existing buildings through the use of environmentally friendly construction techniques including use of resource and energy conservation technologies and recycling.
- Action 4.3
- Develop corporate procurement practices that consider or give preference to suppliers of products and services who demonstrate a commitment to a low-carbon sustainable economy.
Action Plan Target Development and Reporting
An Environmental Sustainability Action Plan Target Report will be produced at the start of each year to evaluation and recommend on outputs.